KnightLife

It’s Lent Time!

Ellie Michaels '22

Its that time of year again: Lent!a special spiritual season where we strive to prepare our hearts for Easter. The Lenten season lasts for 40 days, representing the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting in the desert. It started on Ash Wednesday, and it concludes with Easter Sunday, the day that Jesus was resurrected from the dead and rose into heaven. This is an important season in the Church because it is a time to give thanks to God for sending down his only Son to save us from sin, and eventually give us eternal life with Him in heaven!

In the spirit of the season, it is a tradition in the Catholic church to make a special personal sacrifice during lent. We do this in order to get closer to Jesus in his sacrifice for us. Some common things that people choose to give up for lent include sweets (AKA fro-yo!), electronics, or social media. It can definitely be confusing figuring out what to give up for lent, and once we finally do, it can be very hard to resist the temptation to indulge in that sacrifice! (I think we all have some experience with that one.)

Fortunately, Lent isn’t only about making sacrifices. (You don’t have to spend your Lent miserably waiting for Easter so you can finally have that fro-yo again!) I know what you’re thinkingwhat?!  Sometimes, focusing on these material sacrifices can distract us from what’s really important: God! Even though it is important to make sacrifices, there are plenty of other things you can do to get in the Lenten spirit. Lent is all about bringing ourselves closer to God, and we can do that in many different ways, whether it be giving up fro-yo, or making an extra effort to spread God’s love.

Instead of (or in addition to) giving something up, you could also choose to improve something about yourself, try to volunteer as much as possible, or do a random act of kindness every day. All these positive things add up! In fact, Pope Francis once expressed that Lent shouldn’t only be about sacrifices, but more importantly about showing God’s love to those around you:

No matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great.”  ~Pope Francis

This Lent, we should all try to remember Pope Francis’s words, and make it our goal to give up hate, and show God’s love to those around us. So what did you decide to give up (or improve upon) this Lent? Let us know in a comment below!

Thank you, and Happy almost-Easter!