KnightLife

Galentine’s Day

Liliana Linan, Co-Editor In Chief

The infamous and controversial question, ‘Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?’ has been argued amongst philosophers, authors, and common-folk alike. But Leslie Knope, the protagonist and main character of Parks and Recreation proved to us after the famous episode “Galentine’s Day” that sometimes, life truly does imitate art. Ever since that episode aired 9 years ago, Galentine’s Day has come to mean much more than the simple title of a an episode of a hilarious t.v. show. Galentine’s Day is now an unofficial holiday, observed on February 13th that empowers women and celebrates female friendship. Leslie celebrated the occasion with a Galentine’s breakfast filled with her closest gal-pals, in which she gave them gifts, empowering letters, and shared romantic stories. This Valentine’s Day Eve holiday, once a fictional celebration, is now a real holiday for many people, because it honors platonic female friendships and emphasizes the idea that women are more than their family obligations, partners, and careers. Friendships are important to life and happiness and for at least one day a year, women can recognize that. I commemorate this holiday with a Galentine’s Day dinner and movies. Here are four movies you can watch on February 13th or any other day of the year you want to empower yourself and your friends.

1. Frances Ha (2012, Netflix)-A young women who lives in New York struggles with her career and tries to rebuild her life as the friendship with her best friend falls apart.
  2. Hidden Figures (2018, Amazon Prime)-Three intelligent black women are hired by NASA to help the U.S. win the space race, and they strengthen their friendship as they face racial and gender based prejudice by their peers.
  3. Bridesmaids (2011, Amazon Prime)-In this comedy, a lonely woman loses her job and faces a mid-life crises, but when her childhood best friend asks her to become her maid of honor, she can not refuse.
  4. Eighth Grade (2018, Amazon Prime)-This refreshing and painfully relatable film follows an 8th grader named Kayla through an awkward transition from middle to high school, and how it affects a seemingly quiet and self-conscious young girl trying to gain independence.
About the Writer
Liliana Linan, Co-Editor In Chief

Hey, my name is Liliana Linan and I am a senior and the co-editor in chief of Knightlife. I joined Knightlife in 10th grade as a writer, interviewer, and...