KnightLife

The Best DC Movie of 2018?

Skyler Lamar '19

2018 had its fair share of superhero movies, from Infinity War to Black Panther to Venom. Superhero movies always drive in an audience, whether it is just people looking for action in movies or people who have followed the comics and the storylines and want to see if it will be justly brought to life. 2018 ended with Aquaman coming out on December 21, 2018. The box office racked up $1.075 billion dollars, making it one of the more successful superhero movies of that year. If you did not watch it, one could wonder “what made it so good?” and that is what I’m here for. I am going to give my personal review of the movie Aquaman (spoiler free)!

First off, I always appreciate a storyline. For this one, you do not have to have read the comics or watch other movies in the company to know what is going on. You can 100% go into this movie not knowing anything about Aquaman or any other tidbits from a past DC movie. One thing that I did notice is that the storyline, in general, is one that I feel like I have seen before. Once you know what Aquaman’s goal is, you pretty much have a good idea of where the movie is going. However, there was never a moment when I wasn’t interested. Within Aquaman there were all of the components that I like in a movie – action, suspense, drama, etc. I always wanted to know what would happen next. It is a long movie, but when you are actually watching it, it does not feel that long. It is the type of movie where every scene feels needed and it would not be the same if any scene was taken out. I personally think that Jason Momoa did a great job of portraying Aquaman—someone who did not ask for this life but embraced it when it was the only other option and for the sake of everyone else. Another thing is that all of the fighting scenes were very intense, and I like action movies in general, so seeing those scenes were very interesting. Something that drew me to want to watch the movie is that the director is James Wan, who is notable for being the director of The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, and Anabelle. I personally love horror movies so knowing that he was directing this made me curious as to what he’d do with it and especially since the genre was somewhat out of his wheelhouse. When talking about this movie with the Hollywood Reporter, he said, “In terms of connecting it to the bigger DCEU, I didn’t want to shoehorn in anything from the larger universe because I felt like I was creating my own universe within that and my characters were going to go on their own journeys, which has nothing to do with the other stuff. And because of that, it actually freed me up to tell the story I wanted to tell.” I like that even though it is a film tied to a big franchise, Wan still made it his own in how he told the journey.

All in all, I highly recommend watching this movie. I feel that superhero movies sometimes get a bad reputation, but this movie was actually very fun to watch. Movies should transport you to a different reality and this movie definitely did.