KnightLife

Best Buddies – Join the Fun!

Annaliese Kaxon-Rupp '19

Best Buddies International, a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering individuals to promote inclusion for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), was founded by Anthony K. Shriver in 1989.  This terrific organization creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for people with IDD. Best Buddies started with only one chapter, but now, it has expanded to 2,500 chapters across the world!  Bishop Montgomery High School has one of these chapters, and the chapter strives to spread awareness and advocate for individuals with IDD. Since Bishop does not have a special education department, the club partners with Palos Verdes Peninsula High School’s Best Buddies to spend time with high school students with IDD.  On Sunday, January 27th, members had a fun time meeting new friends while bowling at PV Bowl. Members and buddies shared tips with each other on how to knock down the most bowling pins, and they got to learn more about each others’ interests and favorite things. This event was a success, and we will have more that feature different activities.   If you are interested in being a part of Best Buddies to join the incredible fun and to promote inclusion, then come to Room 305 at lunch on Tuesdays!