KnightLife

Great Music+Tacos=Heaven: A Tropicalia Recap

Liliana Linan

Liliana Linan, Co-Editor

I had the pleasure of attending the 2nd annual Tropicalia music and taco festival at the Queen Mary Park in Long Beach on November 3rd. This 2 day festival (November 3rd and 4th) consisted of dozens of artists, with headliners Morrissey and Kali Uchis on Saturday and SZA and Mac Demarco on Sunday. Tropicalia was something like no other; combining artists from different genres to create a fun and latin centric festival that celebrated music and representation within the industry. The genres included indie, rock, alternative, r&b, and cumbia, and the festival’s versatility is what makes it stand out from other musical events. As a latina living in Los Angeles it was refreshing to see so many successful Hispanic and Hispanic-American artists like Omar Apollo, Los Angeles Azules, Chicano Batman, and many more. Cuco and Cardi B’s cancellation disappointed many, and although they were replaced by Brenton Wood and SZA it was too late for the printed t-shirts.

The Mexican themed decorations were pretty but sparse, and the overpriced tacos needed more salt, but I loved Tropicalia because of its absorbing lineup and entertaining atmosphere. Below is a video of all of the artists I watched starting with Inner Wave and ending with Morrissey.

About the Contributor
Liliana Linan, Co-Editor In Chief

Hey, my name is Liliana Linan and I am a senior and the co-editor in chief of Knightlife. I joined Knightlife in 10th grade as a writer, interviewer, and...