31 Must-Watch Halloween Movies

Liliana Linan ‘19, Co-Editor

1) Hocus Pocus (1993) – An absolute classic, Hocus Pocus follows the story of a teenage boy who accidentally awakens three evil witches named the Sanderson Sisters. Watch as he rushes to save the town children from being eaten by the witches! The movie also shares the same director as High School Musical, just in case you’re still a little wary.

2) Halloweentown & Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (1998/2001) -This Disney masterpiece is based on 3 siblings who revolt against their mother and follow their Halloween loving grandmother into Halloweentown, where Halloween is celebrated 365 days a year. They then struggle to save the town from an evil spirit who wants to rule over everyone. As a child it was impossible to end October without watching Halloweentown on Disney Channel. The first two are the best in my humble opinion, and although Halloween High is acceptable. we do not speak of the fourth one.

3) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) -The perfect combination of the two best holidays, The Nightmare Before Christmas can and should be watched from October through December. This movie focuses on Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king, and his attempt to incorporate Christmas into his Halloween world.

4) The Addams Family & Addams Family Values (1991/1993) – Join the spookiest family to exist while they warmly welcome back Uncle Fester, and then begin to question his identity. The sequel follows this classic as Gomez and Morticia Addams celebrate their new baby boy, and as Pugsley and Wednesday try to look for a way to eliminate their baby brother.

5) Paranorman (2012) – Norman Babcock is a young boy who feels isolated at home and school, but he does have the company of all of the ghosts that only he can see and talk to. After his estranged and unusual uncle tells him of Norman’s legacy to stop a witch’s curse in his town, Norman must save the town from the newly risen zombies and use his special talent to stop the curse.

6) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – Make sure to stay awake…and beware of one of Hollywood’s favorite monsters, Freddy Krueger, and his killings of people during their sleep.

7) Saw (2004) – An insane killer named Jigsaw plays the ultimate mind games on his victims while they struggle to stay alive during his torturing puzzles.

8) Halloween (1978) – The notorious Michael Myers escapes prison after 15 years for killing his teenage sister, and he then returns to his hometown to murder his next victim… if anything you should watch just for the title.

9) *Coraline (2009) – One of my favorite films of all time, Coraline explores the importance of cherishing your parents through the story of Coraline Jones, a young girl who feels lonely after moving to a new state. She finds a secret door to a perfect world, where her ‘other mother’ spoils her and gives her the attention she craves from her real parents. Yet Coraline soon begins to realize that the other world isn’t as flawless as she believes, and the other mother is not as innocent as she gives off.

10) Scream (1996) – This 90s slasher movie follows a masked serial killer who stalks and murders a group of high-school students.

11) Beetlejuice (1988) – Another of my favorite movies, Beetlejuice (don’t say that name three times) tells the story of the Deetzes who move into their new home but encounter a restless spirit named Beetlejuice, who was called upon two other spirits trying to scare the new family away.

12) Young Frankenstein (1974) – It’s the classic story of Dr.Frankenstein but with Gene Wilder so it’s an amazing experience.

13) Corpse Bride (2005) – After Victor travels into the forest trying to recite his vows for his arranged marriage to Victoria, he accidentally proposes to a dead bride previously left at the altar. He must then try to find a way to escape the underworld, please his dead bride, and marry Victoria. It’s also directed by Tim Burton so that enough suffices.

14) Ghostbusters (1984) – In this 80s cult classic a team of scientists come together to create the Ghostbusters, a group that captures ghosts in exchange for money. The business does well, until they open a portal to different dimension and then they have to work to save New York City from being destroyed.

15) Casper (1995) – The only movie that made me wish I had a ghost for a best friend, Casper is based on Casper the friendly ghost who kindly haunts a mansion and falls in love with a young girl living there with her father.

16) *The Conjuring (2013) – The movie that began the infamous series, The Conjuring is a new level of any haunted house movie. Set in the 70s the film follows two paranormal investigators who try to help a family its home of sinister ghosts.

17) Edward Scissorhands (1990) – Edward an odd, lonely creature is adopted by a suburban mother named Peg who tries to help him enter society. Edward falls in love with Peg’s daughter and struggles to be ‘normal’ because of his scary appearance and scissors for hands. Need I say the movie features Winona Ryder and Johnny Depp. Watch it.

18) *The Shining (1980) – Based on a Stephen King novel The Shining follows Jack and his family as they move into a hotel that they soon find to be haunted. I know you’ve all seen the creepy twins, this is the movie they’re in.

19) IT (2017) – Learn how to overcome your fears by watching IT, a movie about a killer clown who haunts a group of kids in the 1980s. You can watch the 1990 original, and although I love Tim Curry, the new one is way better.

20) *The Lost Boys (1987) – Two brothers who move into a small town in California and fight a gang of vampires.

21) Carrie (1976) – Another movie based on a Stephen King novel, this follows an excluded teenager who is bullied at school and abused at home. After figuring out she has telepathic powers, Carrie’s prom night falls apart.

22) Orphan (2009) – A young girl named Esther is adopted by a family after losing a baby, and they begin to find that Esther isn’t as innocent as they believed.

23) What we do in the Shadows (2014) – A hilarious mockumentary that looks into the lives of modern vampires. Need I say more?

24) Scary Movie (2000) – If you hate horror movies (first, what’s wrong with you?) this is the perfect film for you. Scary Movie pokes fun at famous horror movies so it’s great for anyone who squirms at the thought of pop ups.

25) Donnie Darko (2001) – The exceptional Jake Gyllenhaal stars in this confusing cult classic that makes you question reality itself.

26) Monster House (2006) – Instead of the usual ghosts-are-in-the-house scary movie the house is the ghost! Thus, three kids take the responsibility of trying to destroy the haunted house before anything harrowing happens.

27) The Haunted Mansion (2003) – Based on a Disneyland ride, this movie starring Eddie Murphy follows a widowed man and his children who stay the night in a haunted mansion filled with restless spirits.

28) Friday the 13th (1980) – The famed ski-masked killer named Jason stalks a group of camp counselors.

29) It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966) – As the most adorable film on this list, I highly recommend it for children and scaredy-cats alike.

30) The Babadook (2014) – A great film to analyze The Babadook focuses on a depressed widowed mother and her young child as they are both haunted by a mysterious being who wants to ruin their lives.

31) Rosemary’s Baby (1968) – A young newlywed becomes pregnant and fear that her creepy neighbors have plans for her baby in this psychological thriller.

*Please contact [email protected] if you would like to advertise in our newspaper.*