New STEAM Facilities Coming to Bishop

According to the Institute for Arts Integration and STEM, “STEAM Education is an approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics as access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.”

On June 1, 2020 construction began on new Robotics, Engineering, Computer, eSports, Language, and Art Laboratories to expand the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) capabilities at Bishop Montgomery High School. Beginning in the Fall 2020 semester, students and faculty will have access to five new, state-of-the-art learning environments.

The project began with a connection between Shea Family Charities, a Bishop Montgomery alumna and the Bishop Montgomery Advancement Office, headed by Mr. Andy Marafino. Shea Family Charities has partnered with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and Department of Catholic schools to help Catholic schools to develop and expand their STEAM programs. In March 2019 the BMHS Advancement Office submitted a proposal to Shea Family Charities. In response, members from Shea Family Charities reviewed the proposal and visited BMHS to further discuss the renovation concept with members of the BMHS administration. The dream to renovate portions of Bishop Montgomery’s media center and adjacent classrooms into STEAM spaces soon became realized. What was a dream at the start of 2019 has become a reality amidst the strange and new normal of 2020.

In collaboration with Shea Family Charities, CSDA Design Group, and Del Amo Construction, demolition began June 1, 2020 in the 2nd building.  All the interior walls between Room 205, the Mac Lab, Room 203, the Video Production classroom, and Mr. Tony Echeveria’s office were removed. This created a new space that will include the formation of a new consolidated IT Room, a robotics lab complete with competition “field,” and an engineering/maker lab. The area that was Mr. Brian Adams office and the space adjacent will be renovated to create a world languages and eSports lab. After demolition in the 2nd building was complete, the interior walls between Room 301 and the ASB Activities office in the third building were removed. This space will be renovated into a new Mac/Art Lab that will be the new home of the advanced art classes, digital art, and Excalibur Yearbook and KnightLife Newspaper publications.

The successful completion of the new STEAM spaces by Fall 2020 will give more Bishop students opportunities to pursue 21st century inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.