Bishop Arts

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bishop Arts

Writing and performing an original poem in front of teachers and peers is a daunting task, but four brave souls did just that for this year’s ArtFest Fine and Performing Arts Contest. In addition to the Poetry Competition, students submitted artworks in the categories of drawing, painting, photography, graphic design, 3-D design, videos, and religious art. Students also performed music and submitted original musical compositions.

The Art Fest Fine and Performing Arts Contest took place over the week of ArtFest, April 1 through April 4. Winners in each of the categories were awarded cash prizes of $50.00. During lunch on Monday, April 1, music students competed with Thomas Li ’10 winning for Music Performance, and Angelina Herrera ’19  winning for Music Composition.

Tuesday, April 2, during lunch Svetlana Altshuler ’20 Akase Enun 20, Joseph Hermenegildo ’22, and Joselle Costa ’19 recited original works of poetry.  Altshuler’s performance and words were proclaimed the best (read her original poem above).

Original student films submitted by Alexis Fernandez ’22, Kosta Schiappa ’20, Lauren Delaney ’21, Jonathan Klenk ’22, Hannah Tiedmann ’19, and Bennett Harp ’21 were viewed and judged Wednesday, April 3, during lunch in TMH. Tiedemann’s The Black Opal Thiefs was selected as the winning film. You can view all the films submitted here bit.ly2019ArtFest.

Visual artwork was on display all week in the Diter Media center. Of the 24 visual artworks in the art show, six received awards: 3-Dimensional design: Annaliese Kaxon-Rupp ’19, drawing: Alyssa Accinelli

’19, graphic design: Madison Jacobus ’19, mixed media: Kristina Capozza ’19, painting: Sophia Croasdale ’19, photography: Ryan Shelburne ’21, and Religious: Julia Zovak. Congratulations to all the participants and winners.